The music program at Colborne Public School includes an assortment of woodwind, brass, electronic, and percussion instruments including marching drums and ORFF instruments.
The Colborne Public School Drumline began in 2007. In 2009 they competed for the first time and received Gold at the provincial level and Silver at the national level with Musicfest Canada. The drumline then won the Ontario Drumline Association’s Provincial Championships in the Marching Junior division twice. In the past seven years they have won the Canadian Drumline Association`s Ontario Provincial Championships six times and finished second twice (Intermediate Division) while placing second, third, first, and second in the Quebec Provincial Championships in consecutive years competing against both elementary and high school ensembles. In addition, the have placed in the top 10 twice in CBC’s Music Class Challenge.
We would like to say thank you so much for everyone’s generosity over the last several years. The achievements of Colborne Public School’s Music Program are made possible only with your support.
DRUMLINE – Past Performances
- Musicfest Canada Nationals – Ottawa, ON
- Atlantic Band Festival – Halifax, NS
- Music Alive Festival
- Quinte Rotary Music Festival
- Peterborough Kiwanis Music Festival
- Canada’s Wonderland Music Festival
- Apple Blossom Tyme Festival
- Colborne Santa Claus Parade
- Cobourg Santa Claus Parade
- Rick Hansen – Man in Motion 25th Anniversary Tour
- Days of Drumline 2010 & 2011
- Ontario Drumline Association’s Western, GTA, and Eastern Regionals
- Ontario Drumline Association’s Provincial Championships
- Canadian Drumline Association`s Central Ontario Regional
- Canadian Drumline Association`s Eastern Ontario Regional
- Canadian Drumline Association`s Greater Toronto Area Regional
- Canadian Drumline Association`s Quebec Championships
- Canadian Drumline Association`s Ontario Championships
- Canadian Drumline Association’s British Columbia Championships
Drumline is a fast growing and completely unique activity that combines of many of the best elements of a jazz band, symphonic ensemble, marching band, theater production, stage musical, and sports team. These multiple influences combine to create a completely unique performing arts experience. Thus, drumline is a blend of multiple co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
The mental training requires multi-levels of thought organization including each student’s individual parts of music, how they sound with the other musicians, the portrayal of moods harmonious with other performers and musicians, an understanding of how and why they execute each move, and advance awareness of what the next move/note/step will be and why it is there. The cumulative result of such physical and mental discipline is a student with deeper feelings of understanding, a more disciplined focus (which finds its way into study habits in scholastic efforts), and a higher level of self-confidence.
WHY ENTER COMPETITIONS AND FESTIVALS?
We enter competitions so they can be used by our students to measure their achievements against a set of standards. Also they can be used by students to recognize their own potential by achieving more than they thought they could, and for the recognition and appreciation of the achievements of their competitors.
For more information about our music program, contact Mr. Morford at the school or by email.
PAST PERFORMANCES – Jazz Band
Musicfest Canada Nationals – Vancouver, BC (twice) and Ottawa, ON
Festivals of Music – Montreal, Quebec
Atlantic Band Festival – Halifax, NS
Capital Region Musicfest
Next Generation Jazz Festival
Music Alive Festival
Quinte Rotary Music Festival
Peterborough Kiwanis Music Festival
Canada’s Wonderland Music Festival
Apple Blossom Tyme Festival
Colborne Santa Claus Parade
Port Hope Jazz Festival